With a sprawling 65,498 square miles to enjoy, Wisconsin offers gorgeous views, delicious food and drinks (Friday Fish Fry anyone?), and plenty of things to do 365 days a year. While the winters may be harsh, there’s usually plenty of snow waiting to entertain you while you wait for spring. Whether you are looking for a family vacation or time away with friends, here are some ideas for your next Wisconsin winter getaway:
A Northwoods getaway
From Hayward to Door County, Northern Wisconsin offers the vast Northwoods full of snow-covered trees, ski trails, and snowmobile routes. If you’re looking to travel north this winter, look no further than Minocqua, WI. A popular destination in the summer, but it’s also full of entertainment in the winter.
- Minoqua Winter Park offers activities that are perfect for a family vacation or a quick getaway with friends. Take a turn on their family sledding hill or take a spin on one of their many ski trails. The Winter Park also provides ice skating, snow shoeing, skiing with dogs, and more. Visit their website for more information on pricing and hours.
- For those seeking more time outdoors or a larger thrill, check out Northwoods Zipline. This one-stop shop for eco-adventures is open year-round and offers plenty of activities including a unique experience of ziplining through Wisconsin’s Northwoods during the winter!
- You can’t have a winter getaway up north without taking a spin on snowmobile, can you? Minocqua and the surrounding areas have plenty of snowmobile trails and routes to keep you busy all weekend- or season.
- With plenty to offer to visitors outdoors, Minocqua also has several supper clubs waiting to help you wind down after an action-packed day. Don’t forget to scope out the best Friday Fish Fry and Old Fashioned!
A Central Wisconsin Winter ESCAPe
While you cannot beat the beauty of Wisconsin’s Northwoods, you can have plenty of fun in the area surrounding the ‘Waterpark Capital of the World”. Central Wisconsin has plenty opportunities for you to stay busy and have fun during your winter escape!
- If you’re missing summer and fun in the sun, book a stay at the ‘Waterpark Capital of the World’, the Wisconsin Dells. Waterparks such as the Kalahari, Mount Olympus, or the Wilderness await you as well as plenty of adventure parks and indoor go-cart tracks. Enjoy the added benefit of an indoor walkway connecting your lodging to the waterpark so you don’t have to worry about winter weather after a swim!
- When you’re ready to enjoy the winter wonderland again, make a quick drive to Cascade Mountain. Only 20 minutes away from the Dells, Cascade Mountain hosts 48 ski trails, 4 terrain parks, and a 900-foot-long snow tubing chute.
- After your fun in the winter sun or waterpark, make a visit to one of the local wineries, breweries, or restaurants for a bite to eat or nightcap.
Southeastern Wisconsin’s Winter Wonderland
Like the rest of the state, Southeastern Wisconsin has plenty of places to visit and things to do year-round. Hovering the Illinois border, Lake Geneva, WI has become well-known for its attractions all year round. If you’re looking for a fun holiday getaway, here are some things to put on your itinerary:
- What’s a better way to get in the holiday spirit than with a Santa Cruise? The 40 minute lake tour hosts enchanting light displays, a sneak peek at Santa’s hideaway, and a message from the Man in Red himself! Prior to boarding the boat, you can walk through Santa’s ‘Charities of Christmas Tree Festival’, an indoor tour featuring eight decorated trees.
- A true winter wonderland, the Ice Castles has an ice-carved slide, crawl spaces, and sculptures to wow visitors of all ages.
- Of course, if you’re on a holiday weekend, you’ll most likely love to do some holiday shopping. Lake Geneva’s downtown district is home to a variety of local shops and galleries. After you shop til you drop, experience igloo dining at Pier 290, Lake Geneva’s only lakeside restaurant.
Winter is a great time to explore Wisconsin’s beauty from a different viewpoint. There is so much to offer and while we couldn’t list everything, we hope this inspires you to brave the cold and enjoy all four seasons.
As a Wisconsin only company, we love our great state. Our Our local agents are your neighbors in your community and are always a short drive or phone call away. Contact your local Rural Mutual Insurance Agent for a custom quote today.