Rural Mutual is expanding its agribusiness insurance to serve Wisconsin Industrial Hemp operations, including growers, distributors and retailers. Rural Mutual has decades of experience in agriculture, transportation, commercial and worker safety – all areas that are fundamentally paramount in running an industrial hemp business. We strive to understand the complexity of the hemp industry to better serve our clients insurance needs.
Current Status of Hemp in Wisconsin:
- The 2018 Farm Bill removed hemp from the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA).
- Hemp in Wisconsin is recognized as an agricultural commodity and can be grown for many types of products, which fall into three main categories:
- All growing and processing of hemp in Wisconsin will continue to be regulated and administered through Wisconsin Dept of Agriculture Trade and Consumer Protection for 2019.
Even though the 2018 Farm Bill makes industrial hemp eligible for federal crop insurance, it could be up to 4 years before the USDA has hemp crop insurance available.
Since Multi-Peril Crop Insurance (MPCI) is a federally regulated program, Authorized Insurance Providers (AIP’s) have to wait for the USDA to develop and release hemp crop insurance programs.
Meanwhile, private insurance companies can develop their own Crop Hail Insurance for Hemp. Rural Mutual is offering Crop Hail for Hemp available for 2019. Crop hail covers losses due to hail, fire, lighting, vandalism and vehicle damage.
The following types of operations can be considered for coverage with respect to industrial hemp:
- Harvesting and Storing of Industrial Hemp (insured’s own crop)
- Storing Industrial Hemp of Others
- Custom Farming Operations
- Drying Industrial Hemp for Others
- Processing of Industrial Hemp
- Hauling for Others
- Trip Transit and Motor Truck Cargo
- Custom Farming Operations and Drying for Others
- Processing of Industrial Hemp and Manufacturing of Hemp Products
- Retail Sales of Industrial Hemp
Rural Mutual is the #1 farm insurer in Wisconsin. We review risk for a living. We also see the passion and drive that characterizes farmers throughout Wisconsin. Contact your local Rural Mutual Insurance agent to customize your policy specific to your farm.
Contact us to protect your hemp operation below!