You lend your car to a friend and they hit a deer. Now what?

Your friend’s car is getting repaired so you lend your car to them in the meantime. He/she hits a deer while driving your car. What do you do? Who is responsible for filing the claim? Living in Wisconsin, this question comes up more often than we’d like.

File a claim

Under your car insurance, either you or your friend can file a claim with your (the owner of the vehicle) insurance company. You are still responsible for the damage. In the instance of colliding with a deer, the owner of the car would need to have Comprehensive Coverage on their vehicle to cover damage to the vehicle itself. The deductible will follow the owner of the vehicle. When things go wrong on the road, we’re here to help. Reach out to your agent who will walk you step-by-step through the process. 

We understand accidents happen. Count on us to be there for you when you need. To report a claim contact your agent, call 1-800-255-2150 or file online.